Sunday, August 15, 2010

Guess we'll need to buy a Blu-Ray player next year

Apparently the original Star Wars trilogy is being rereleased (again) for home viewing but this time it's on Blu-Ray and with some never-before seen scenes.

I've lost track of how many versions of the Star Wars trilogy I've owned. I think I've emptied my wallet at least for:

  • the original theatrical release on video
  • the remastered version on video
  • the Special Edition on video (I'm sorry, Mr. Lucas, but not matter how you change it, Han shot first)
  • and the official final real director's version on DVD
That doesn't even begin to take into account the number of times I paid to see the first three Star Wars movies in the theatre (both during the original releases and the 20th anniversary rerelease in 1997).

And while not everyone will agree with me, those tickets, videos, and DVDs were worth every penny.

Now, it's being reissued again and this time with deleted scenes that I don't think were ever in the theatrical cut. Plus, it's in high-def. Part of me knows it's a scam to transfer another $50 from my wallet to George Lucas' but damn if it doesn't have me thinking about upgrading to Blu-Ray sometime next year. 

I am such a dork.

No comments: