Saturday, September 26, 2009

Happy One-Hit Wonder Day!

Yes, it's that little-known holiday, "National One-Hit Wonder Day." The songs to be celebrated are the soundtrack of my teen years, absolutely littered with musical classics that never went anywhere but are still featured prominently in my iPod's "1980s" playlist.

As I wrote this, I just found VH1's list of the top 100 1-hit wonders of the 1980s. Is it sad that 20-30 years later, I can read the song titles and immediately begin singing (or at least humming) the vast majority of these? Nope. They may have only been fleetingly famous but these songs are loads of fun. Seriously, how can you not enjoy "Your Love" by The Outfield?

Jenn and I just looked at the list and began singing spontaneously. We are baffled, however, that "Rock Me Amadeus" by Falco and "Walking on Sunshine" by Katrina and the Waves didn't make VH1's top 100 list. You have to be joking!

All in all, "National One-Hit Wonder Day" gives us an opportunity to celebrate some great 1980s cheese. Thankfully, I never had the 1980s hair. Or at least there's no photographic evidence. But I will admit it here for the first time that I went out and bought the 45 RPM single of Taco's "Putting on the Ritz". It was a moment of temporary weakness. I really should have invested in the single for "The Safety Dance" by Men without Hats.

No comments: