Saturday, August 29, 2009

Geeking out over a big cat

Yesterday was the day Apple released a major new update to its operating system, code named Snow Leopard in keeping with their past big cat nomenclature...Tiger, Leopard, Panther, etc. Eventually they'll run out of big cats of course and move on to the less imposing felines like bobcats, civets, and caracals (Mac OS X 10.18 Ocelot!).

While I had yesterday off, I refrained from rushing off to the Apple Store in Providence to pick up a copy. I'd already pre-ordered it on Amazon, of course, specifically to avoid having to hit the mall.

The drawback to that approach is that it imposed a brief waiting period as the rest of the Mac tech heads rushed off to the stores and started playing with the new OS yesterday. But that's ok. Delayed gratification can be good for the soul. Jenn simply rolls her eyes when these computer-based events happen but that's ok. Eye rolls and sighs of "you go right ahead, honey" will not deter my inner geek or Apple's big cats. Meow!

The first thing I did this morning when I sat down at my computer was check the package tracking. Apparently, my family pack copy of Snow Leopard was handed off to UPS in Warwick, RI, at 3:13 AM this morning. Woohoo! Of course, the scheduled arrival date say August 31, which is Monday. Does this mean UPS doesn't deliver on Saturdays, even if the shipment was a "next day" deal?

If it arrives today, that would be perfect. The remains of Tropical Storm Danny are raining down moderately hard and are expected to do so throughout the weekend. I would therefore not have to feel guilty about missing a lovely day outside as I upgrade all of our computers. On the other hand, there's now a chance that my copy of Snow Leopard is sitting in a warehouse 25 minutes away, right across the bay, and will just remain there gathering dust until Monday. That would suck. Of course it could be worse. I could live in New Zealand.

I guess I should have just gone to the mall.

No comments: