Monday, August 17, 2009

She Won

Right now, I'm absolutely drained, relieved, ecstatic. My eyes hurt from crying and it's all OK.

My mother called tonight. Seven months after being diagnosed with breast cancer, six months after starting an aggressive regimen of chemotherapy, and one week after her final infusion, she was told this afternoon by her surgeon and oncologist that they can find no trace of the cancer following a full body MRI.

Mom still needs surgery to remove and test the breast tissue and lymph nodes that had been affected followed by 6 weeks of radiation but, according to her surgeon and oncologist, today's news is the most spectacular result possible.

Of course it is.

She won.

She'll need to be vigilant for the rest of her life but now it looks to be a long and happy one alongside her family and friends, all of whom are in awe of her strength and courage. I know I am.

I love you, Mom.

1 comment:

Susan Wood said...

Oh my! I can't believe that you wrote such a wonderful piece about my news. I am sitting here at work crying because of your beautiful words and your amazing love and support. Thank you for helping me get through this enormous challenge. Without you and everyone in our family as well as loving friends, I never could have faced these past months and the uncertainty of the future. Thank you dear Chris for everything. I love you so much.
Mom