Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Anywhere there's water

OK, here's a word association game. I say "U.S. Coast Guard" and you say...

North Dakota?

It may come as a surprise to many but the USCG is actively participating in efforts to cope with the flooding of the Red River in North Dakota and Minnesota, a fact noted in President Obama's weekly address. People tend to think of the USCG as a salt water operation, cruising along our coasts, dealing with lighthouses, intercepting smugglers, rescuing mariners from storms, etc., but in truth, the USCG operates virtually anywhere there's water - rivers, the Great Lakes, and overseas. As a lifelong sailor, I've thankfully never had to call on the USCG for help but it makes me feel a lot better when I'm on the water knowing that they're out there if I ever needed them.

No comments: