Saturday, March 28, 2009

The soft #1 finally falls

I'm not a devotee of college basketball though I enjoy it more than the pro game. Even so, I could see that Pittsburgh had to be one of the softest number 1 seeds in recent years and I don't think I'm the only one. After Providence College wiped the floor with them in late February, I found it hard to believe that Pitt would actually be a 1 Seed but there they were, standing atop the East Bracket as March Madness started. Still, every time I saw them, they never seemed to dominate their lower seeded opponents like a Number 1 should. The challengers stayed close and while Pitt won, they never seemed to operate in that killer league that UConn, UNC, and Louisville occupy. That's why it came as no shock that they lost to Villanova tonight, losing to Villanova 78-76. If a Number 1 was going to fall, it only made sense it was the softie of the bunch.

No comments: